Pages

Thursday, December 8, 2011

Slow Cooker Rotisserie Chicken

Can I just say it's really hard to concentrate on writing when I am also watching "The Daily Show."  Jon Stewart is hilarious!

This weekend, I finally decided to make one of the frozen chickens I bought from Costco awhile back.  This past summer my local Costco started selling organic chicken and the price for a whole chicken is quite reasonable.

Have I ever made a whole chicken before?  Umm...nooo.  Buuuuut, I have made a turkey {once} and cornish game hens a few times, so it's basically the same thing, right?  I also didn't have a lot of time to dedicate to cooking the chicken, so my first thought was "How can I make this in the slow cooker?"  Very easily, it turns out.  It took me about 15 minutes to prep and 8 hours to cook.



Here's what I did to prep the bird:

* Cleaned the chicken {inside and out - I felt a little weird, since I just met this chick}
* Rubbed butter all over the outside of chicken {and, once again, inside}.  I also cut little slits into the skin, so I could pat quite a little bit inside the skin.
* Seasoned the chicken with S&P, oregano, thyme and basil {to do the inside, Gary held the bird open for me}
* Stuck half of a lemon into the "cavity"

How to prep the slow cooker:

* Roll up aluminum foil into 3 balls and place them on the bottom of the slow cooker.

* Add the prepped chicken to the slow cooker, so the aluminum foil is fully supporting it.


* Cook on low for 6-8 hours.

...You're probably thinking, "Boy, that so easy and delicious.  How did it end up looking?"  Well, someone {me} was so hungry by the time the chicken was finishes that I forgot to take a picture of it.  What can I say, it was Sunday night and I was running around like a chicken with its.....oh, never mind...I just forgot!

But I can say that it was so yummy and it gave Gary & I dinner and lunch TWICE!!

A lot of my recipes are made in the slow cooker - do YOU have a favorite way to cook food or a favorite kitchen gadget??

No comments:

Post a Comment