Pages

Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Slow Cooker Lasagna

I found this recipe a few years back...I believe in a magazine. I have tweaked it so many ways, but here is the standard recipe.

Ingredients
1 lb. lean ground beef
1 jar of spaghetti or marinara sauce
1-2 eggplant diced (I do not peel it)
spices as you wish - basil, oregano, thyme, etc.
1-2 cup water (I start with 1, but add more if I add more veggies to the mix)
1 15 oz. container ricotta cheese
1 egg white
1 cup cheese, shredded (I like adding sharp cheddar for some kick)
spices as you wish - basil, oregano, parsley, thyme, etc.
5-7 dried lasagna noodles, no boil variety works the best

Directions

Brown the ground beef in your skillet and drain extra fat. Stir in spices, marinara sauce, eggplant and water.

In a bowl, mix the egg white, ricotta cheese, shredded cheese and spices.

Layer the bottom of the slow cooker with part of the meat mixture. Top that layer with some of the noodles (you will have to break a few up). Repeat those layers. Top the 2nd layer with the ricotta cheese mixture and finish with the rest of the meat mixture. Cover, set on low and let cook for 4-6 hours.

Enjoy!

***I always play around with this recipe. Tonight, I added a container of sliced mushrooms. Next time I plan on nixxing the noodles and making a "noodle" layer with sliced eggplant. What I like is how versatile this recipe it...you can use whatever veggies you have on hand.***

1 comment:

  1. Yum, love the addition of the eggplant in there. What a great way to get dinner done with minimal effort!

    ReplyDelete