Pages

Monday, January 16, 2012

The Best Pizza Crust You May Ever Make

I have not been able to eat "regular" pizza for almost 6 months.  This should be against the law!  For some reason, any pizza other than one with a gluten free crust makes my stomach sick.  I found some "just okay" pre-made gluten free crusts a few months ago, but the ingredient list was still a little too long for my liking.

So how excited was I when I found a link to a gluten free/Paleo pizza crust on Tina's blog!!  I decided to try it out this Saturday and I was so happy with the results.  It was thick and hearty, which made it great for holding all of our toppings.

You wanna piece of me??  YES!!

Here s the link to the original recipe, but I thought I'd post it for you as well.

Almond Flax Pizza Crust

Ingredients:

  • 1-1/4 cups flaxseed meal
  • 1 cup almond flour/meal
  • 1 tsp sea salt
  • 2 tsp natural baking powder
  • 1 Tbs honey
  • 1 tsp Italian mixed dried herbs
  • 3 large eggs, beaten until smooth
  • 3 Tbs olive oil
  • ½ cup water


Directions:

  1. Heat oven to 425° F.
  2. Combine flaxseed meal, almond meal, sea salt, baking powder and Italian herbs together until lump-free.
  3. Beat together eggs, olive oil, honey and water until smooth.
  4. Pour liquid mixture into dry mixture. Blend well until smooth.
  5. Press into desired shape.
  6. Place on a pre-greased or non-stick pizza pan or sit on a silicon baking mat.
  7. Bake for 15 minutes in the center of the oven until cooked.
  8. Add favorite toppings and then return to the oven to bake for an additional 10-15 minutes.

I topped mine with some organic tomato sauce, ground beef, sauteed onions and bell pepper, diced tomatoes, mushrooms and just a handful of shredded raw cheddar cheese.  Gary & I were both surprised at how well the crust held up with all those toppings.

I didn't think ahead to make a salad or anything with this, but 1 1/2 slices was plenty for me!  Even Gary struggled to eat 2 slices.

My future self is telling me that this might just have to be a weekend staple in our house (add a salad and we have leftovers for lunch the next day).

Go ahead and drool...I won't tell!

4 comments:

  1. This looks delicious! I tried a gluten-free crust a few months ago and it turned into a disaster. I'm def bookmarking this one for next week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, tell me how you like it once you've made it yourself. I was somewhat skeptical while it was baking, but once I took my first bite, I was sold. Just a note - it does rise a bit in the over {don't know why I thought it wouldn't}, so don't be afraid to make it somewhat thin when putting the dough onto your pan.

      Delete
  2. Pizza is my favorite food! I don't know if I could do without it :( This crust recipe looks great though. I looked back at a past post and saw the cauliflower rice trick! LOVE IT. Can't wait to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pizza is a big favorite around our house!! This looks so goooooood!! Thanks so much for joining us on "Strut Your Stuff Saturday." We loved having you and hope to see you back next Saturday with more fun recipes! -The Sisters

    ReplyDelete