Pages

Wednesday, January 18, 2012

An Open Letter to My Parents & A Recipe

Mama & Papa  {aka my parents},

This past Monday evening, I was cooking up this delicious meal of kale and chicken, when it hit me just how lucky I am that YOU are my parents.  Not because you bought me my cool cookware set, but, to put it simply, I LOVE kale.  And brussel sprouts.  And eggplant.  And sooo many other vegetables!

In my younger years, these were staple foods in our home, so it was never weird to me if we would have all 3 within a weeks span.  What was weird to me was when I would talk with a friend about what I had for dinner the night before and they would give me the strangest look and tell me how they didn't HAVE to eat that stuff.  Are you kidding me?!?!  I didn't have to either.  I wanted to.

Growing up in our family, there was not an option as to what was on our dinner plate.  There was no one to cook me a separate meal.  There was no one to tell me not to have any veggies if I didn't like how they looked.  The rule was "you need to try it once."  This rule even applied when I had a friend over.  You have made some of the people I love the most a cheerleader for eggplant or kale, but only because "they had to try it once."  The next time they were over they were hoping it would be their favorite new dish!

Not only did this shape my attitude of being open to try new foods, it also made me adventurous in the kitchen {you should see my knife throwing routine}.  Having the knowledge of how to cook a variety of vegetables made it easy for me to experiment with different flavors and spices.  I grew up in a house where I was able to help cook when I wanted.  Most of my good memories from the Milpitas house happened in the kitchen and around the dining table.

I can honestly say that whenever I make a new recipe and it is a hit my first thought is "Mama & Papa would LOVE this!"  You guys get me in a way that no one else ever will when it comes to how much joy it brings me to cook for the people I love.

Thank you for making me eat tomatoes {and bell peppers},

Maureen

PS- I still hate lima beans...you can't win 'em all!

In honor of my amazing parents, here is a simple, yet delicious recipe for Kale & Chicken.

Ingredients {for 4 servings}:
3 bunches of kale, leaves taken off the stem and tore into pieces and washed
S&P
Nutmeg
Chicken Breasts, browned on each side.

Directions:
Add half of the kale to large pot.
Add S&P as desired.
Add nutmeg {I use about 5 shakes}
Place chicken breasts on kale.
Add 2nd half of kale
Repeat with S&P and Nutmeg

Cover and cook on medium-high for about 30 minutes.

Enjoy {and if you have children, PLEASE make them try a few bites...they will thank you in the long run)!





3 comments:

  1. 1. I cringed when you said "knife throwing." 2. this is SO sweet! 3. I love your parents now too. I didn't start experimenting with food until college.

    GREAT POST!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Knife throwing? I think we need a youtube video! This is so sweet! Your parents are adorable. My parents feed me hot dogs and mac and cheese. I'm still discovering vegetables and I'm almost 30!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is awesome! My mom fed me crap, but at least had veggies on the side! I didn't learn to eat healthy until I was an adult. We have the "you have to try it once" rule with our 4 kids.
    http://naturalandorganiclifestyle.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete