Pages

Monday, February 20, 2012

Avocado Madness

Somehow we have had over 20 avocados in our refrigerator this weekend.  We're now down to 15.  Raley's had a weekend only sale for 50 cent avocados....obviously we had to stock up!!

I am an avocado addict.  Whether it is spread on crackers, cubed into a salad or whipped into an delectable guacamole, if it is in front of me, I will down it within 5.3 seconds{scientifically proven}.

Not only are avocados tasty, they pack a punch when it comes to health benefits.  They are good for your heart and have anti-cancer benefits.  For more health information check out the California Avocado website.

With the spring like weather we've been blessed with in the Central Valley, I have been on a HUGE salad kick {exhibits A,  B & C} and decided to create an avocado based salad dressing for dinner tonight.  I had big dreams for avocado mixed with blue cheese & bacon, when I was reminded that Gary hates blue cheese {if I had only known this before we were married}.  So I took it as a challenge to also create a spicy avocado dressing for Gary.  Double Schwing!!  <---please tell me you get this reference so I don't feel old.


Avo Blue Bacon Dressing Ingredients

Avo Blue Bacon Dressing

Ingredients:
1 Large Avocado
1/4 Cup Greek Yogurt {or sour cream}
1/4 Cup Milk
1/4 Cup Crumbled Blue Cheese
1 TB cooked & crumbled bacon
Dash of Pepper

Directions:
Cut Avocado in half and scoop the "meat" into a bowl.
Add yogurt, milk & blue cheese
Mix everything together until smooth.
Add bacon & pepper and mix again.


Avo Blue Bacon Dressing on spinach w/ walnuts & extra bacon

Spicy Avocado Dressing Ingredients

Spicy Avocado Dressing

Ingredients:
1 Large Avocado
1/4 Cup Greek Yogurt {or sour cream}
1/4 Cup Milk
1/4 to 1/2 Cup Prepared Salsa
Dash of Pepper

Directions:
Cut Avocado in half and scoop the "meat" into a bowl.
Add yogurt, milk, salsa and pepper
Mix everything together until smooth.

Spicy Avocado Dressing on spinach

These dressings both turned out super chunky and extremely delicious!

I'll be posting some more avocado recipes these next few weeks, so stay tuned!

***Are you an avocado fan?***

11 comments:

  1. i don't really like blue cheese either but i've been meaning to make an avocado pasta sauce for a while now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I HATE avocados! That and bananas are on my do not eat list. I don't know why but they both give me a killer tummy ache! But I do have to say I LOVE blue cheese. That I could eat for breakfast lunch and dinner. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No! Avocados and bananas are 2 of my favorites! :) Blue cheese is heaven!

      Delete
  3. Avacados are insane! I love them more and more every time I eat them bc I used to hate them!

    I make a pretty mean guac and other than that put them in salads or on turkey burgers. Husband face isn't as big of a fan...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I seriously made homemade guac for the first time ever last week! I used to just add that pre-packaged spice stuff to some cados in a bowl and call it a day. Why did no one tell me how easy it was to make it all by myself??

      Delete
  4. Your spicy avocado dressing looks amazing! I'm always trying to find new ways to play up a salad, and I love a little spice. I will definitely try that this week.

    I used to hate avocados, too. Now, I eat them plain with a spoon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! Tell me what you think!
      I could eat an avocado with every meal...no joke! :)

      Delete
    2. I'm pretty sure I loved it so much I drank it! I linked this recipe on my blog, I hope you don't mind?? If so, just let me know and I can take it off. I just think everyone I know needs to share in the avocado love and you deserve the credit!

      Delete
    3. I do not mind at all! Thank you so much! :)

      Delete
  5. This looks so good! We are spinach and avacado lovers! We loved having you join us at "Strut Your Stuff Saturday." We hope you'll be back next week! -The Sisters

    ReplyDelete