Pages

Monday, June 18, 2012

Ch-ch-ch-ch-changes...

Please tell me you have David Bowie singing in your head now!  If you have ME singing in your head...I'm sooo sorry!


The past few months I have felt terribly lost inside.  No matter what I did, I was gaining weight fast due to my hormones being out of whack and not-so-great eating or exercising habits. That led to a horrible hit on my self esteem, which made me lash out in different ways.


Finally, I had enough.  I sat down with Gary and outlined a plan for us to follow to finally make a REAL change in our lives.


I feel like we're deep enough into our plan {4 weeks} for me to tell you about it.


CLEAN EATING


Except for 4 meals this whole month {including our Anniversary Dinner}, I have cooked every meal we eat, including breakfast at 5am.  It's HARD working full time, then coming home and making dinner, but 3 things have really helped.

  1. Prep - I've been making 2 week meal plans, the spending the weekend chopping as many veggies up as I can so I am not so overwhelmed when I get home.
  2. GARY - Misery loves company {especially in the kitchen}.  Instead of complaining about eating clean and begging for In-N-Out, Gary has stepped up and helped in any way he can.  He is now a MASTER of making a Cucumber Salad, which has been a side dish quite a bit lately.  He even makes up some for a snack at work.  
  3. KISS - Not the band.  Keep It Simple, Stupid!!  Our dinners have not been very exciting lately.  Only a few ingredients, focusing on lean protein and veggies galore. Snacks are easy, too - cucumber salad, boiled eggs, etc.


ACTIVITY



Gary & I have come to the realization that there IS so much room for activities....in our daily schedule.


Can we dedicate 2-3 hours a day?  No way.  But we CAN take a 2-mile walk or a 5-mile bike ride.  30 minutes a day, 4-5 times a week is what we have been achieving.


ATTITUDE


Taking control of your health can be hard and stressful, to say the least, but having PCOS makes it a million times worse.  I've had 2 doctors tell me that in order to lose weight I'll have to work twice as hard as a woman my age with no hormonal issues.  It used to make me want to have a fit, but what good does that do me?  Instead of focusing on weight loss directly I am now focusing on changing my attitude to reflect my need for fueling my body.


Healthy, REAL food = 90% of the time
Desserts & treats {planned} = 10% of the time with no guilt!


Saying "no" to a free Starbucks or a deli sandwich SUCKS when you have the attitude that you are turning down delicious treats.  But when you turn it around and realize that neither of these will fuel you in the same way homemade food will, it's empowering!  


Saying "no" to these spur of the moment treats lets me say yes to treats that I know are coming up, like this delicious homemade chocolate cake with strawberries that one of our staff members daughter made for us.



I knew this was coming for 2 days, so when I craved chocolate the night before it was easy to tell myself that I only had to wait a few hours before I got to indulge.


SUPPORT


Poor Gary has gone through so many food changes with me over the past 12 years. There was my Weight Watchers stage, where I bought all the pre-packaged food they told me was so good for me.  There was the Atkins Diet, where I are NO carbs.  Now it's focusing on lean proteins and oodles of veggies.  He has been a trooper through it all, but this is the first time he is REALLY on board and being a part of the change.  


It's not just Gary though.


My mom now know that when we come over for dinner, there does not always have to be dessert.  And if she wants to serve dessert, we are fine with fruit.




It's the support of my co-workers, who know I bring my own lunch to work, so they don't tempt me with Chinese takeout.  


Signing up to run 5k's and trying to train as often as possible with my friends gives me support AND keeps me accountable!


And definitely, it's the support of all my amazing blog friends!  Bloggers are a unique bunch, I am finding out, because you all want to gain readers and have a following {drink the Kool-Aid...mine's organic!}, but we all "get" each other in a way no one else can.  Am I struggling to find the motivation to workout?  All I need to do is log on Twitter or read the comments in previous blog posts and I see how much my "Blends" mean to me!


So what does clean eating, activity, attitude and support lead to??


Besides a positive outlook on life, it means a 14 pound weight loss for Gary and a little over 8 pound weight loss for me!!  


There's still a ways to go in my journey, but I didn't gain this weight overnight, so I sure as heck will not lose it overnight.


Thanks for sticking around as I document my journey to a healthy life!

7 comments:

  1. wow! congrats on having such success! i know it's tough sometimes, but a clean diet and consistent activity make such a difference! keep it up.

    that's awesome that your husband is joining you, too. my husband is NOT up for changing his diet and he makes it pretty clear whenever i change mine!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so awesome, and the support you have will definitely be a huge help!!! I love that you've cooked all of your meals!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Seriously you are rocking this girl! Eating clean takes effort, and I think you have such a great attitude towards this! Keep up the awesome work!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! This is awesome. I had no idea you were totally rockin' it all month long.

    I really like your approach. Definitely let yourself have the fun stuff once in a while, you only live once.

    Keep it up. 8 pounds is HUGE!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great job! It's so hard to eat healthy, but it's so worth it in the end! 8 pounds in a month is awesome :) Keep it up!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lindsay @ The Lean Green BeanJune 19, 2012 at 5:54 AM

    love all these changes!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I LOVE THIS POST! I love that you laid everything out so perfectly :)
    What is your goal - how much to lose total? I'm proud of you - keep it up!!

    ReplyDelete