Pages

Friday, July 6, 2012

Oregon/Washington Road Trip: Days 4 & 5

Day 4 we were heading from Albany, OR to Port Townsend, WA.  But we couldn't pass up Portland without trying some hole-some {see what I did there?} goodness from Voodoo Doughnut!

Doughnuts & that is it!


Box of yumminess!

Gary got the Old Dirty Bastard {it had Oreo on top and was drizzled with peanut butter}

And my taste buds enjoyed a Portland Cream.  We bought the rest for my family to enjoy.  I am NOT a doughnut person....I can walk by a box of them without trying to inhale that special doughnut smell.  So let me tell you, these doughnuts were VERY good!


We then spent some time in Powell's City of Books.  To be honest, I didn't have as much fun as I thought I would.  This place is huge and a bit too overwhelming for me.  Maybe because I knew we didn't have too much time, I felt anxious, but at least I can say I've been there!


We walked through Portland for about an hour then had to get back in the car and drive for a few more hours.


Oh, Washington, how we have missed you!  Gary & I have a 5-10 year plan that includes moving to Washington State.  Each time we have been, our souls feel at peace.  This trip reinforced that WA is where we want to call home by the time we hit our mid 40's.  


We stayed with my Aunt Vickie & her husband Michael in Port Townsend.  What a great community!


Our first few hours there and we were impressed by their automobiles. ;-)


It was a bit too chilly that first night, but still gorgeous.


SHORTY!! This dog cracked me up the whole time we were in Port Townsend.


The next day was the 4th of July and MUCH sunnier, so Michael took Gary downtown while Vickie and I went grocery shopping and got ready for a BBQ later that day.






When the guys got back, we headed over to my cousin Lisa's home for a festive BBQ.

I thought he was going to bite my arm.
If you are going to read ONE portion of this blog post, let this be it.

See this house below???  Well, my cousin and her husband designed it themselves.


Oh, and THEY BUILT IT!  Not like "we hired someone to build it for us" built it, but actually built it all themselves.  I am 153% serious when I say that you can feel their love in every beam, window, door, etc. that is a part of that house.



I am in awe of how awesome they are for being able to do this!

They also have the biggest dog I've ever met, Argus.  


Yup, I'm drinking out of a mason jar.  That's how I roll!
We were spoiled with a tasty BBQ and met a bunch of their family who were so kind to include us in their lives for a day.

After that we headed to Fort Worden for a hike and {later} a fireworks show.  Fort Worden was where "An Officer and a Gentleman" was filmed.



Me & my cousin, Lisa

Lisa's daughter, Rosie, Lisa, and my Aunt Vickie.

Stars and Stripes Forever

Gorgeous view

The moon was extra amazing on the 4th.
We didn't get to bed until almost midnight on the 4th and had to wake up at 6am the next morning to meet Gary's family, but we had the best 4th of July in a long time!

4 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness. THOSE DOUGHNUTS! YUMMMM.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can I come live with your cousin? That house is gorgeous!! Great pics too, I love the Pacific NW and need some VooDoo in my life again :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL I should tell her to start renting out a room! :) My heart belongs in the Pacific NW!

      Delete